Sunday, May 8, 2011

Celebrating by Making a Choice

It's not all that long until the National Day of Norway is upon us. I believe this one is going to be a bit different than it usually is for me. Whenever one of these big holidays or holiday seasons rear their heads, I seem to be getting a certain thought smacked straight in my face from more than one angle. A thought that perplexes me quite a lot.

For the time being, I live alone. I currently don't have anyone around me here who'd drag me around to attend to the festivities (except perhaps out of pity, but that is irrelevant). However, is that automatically a reason to feel sorry for me? "Aww, poor guy, he's all alone while we're out here celebrating together."

I do actually get served fairly similar thoughts.

Is there something wrong with celebrating by having a calm day at home? I live in a country where I supposedly have the opportunity to freely choose to stay at home and plant my feet up on my table should I so want. Maybe putting on some music I really like whilst pouring myself a glass of something to drink, adding a tiny bit of Vodka in it, and just lean back in my chair, close my eyes and... enjoy it. Does that mean I must be miserable and that I must be having a bad time? Is that really a reason to feel sorry for me? Is it a bad thing that I'm not bouncing back and forth on my way from one festivity to the other like a pinball-machine?

I really don't get it. I don't get why people are feeling sorry for me as if I'm having a bad time. It is just assumed that I'm having a horrible time just because I don't choose to do what "most people" would do. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever been asked if I might perhaps like "celebrating" in this way too every now and then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I loathe celebrating things the classic way. It's just that should I want to choose otherwise, it seems as if people think my whole world has just... imploded.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tag overview

adhd (2) asperger (2) autism (1) blog (7) creativity (2) depression (1) funny (1) home (4) influences (3) medical (2) movie (1) music (3) pdd (4) poetry (4) sleep (4) thoughts (2) twitter (1) works (3)